News for March 2010
- Help with a little bit of testing24 March 2010
- I need a little bit of help with testing the staging website. Please note the "staging" website is an almost identical copy of this site! Your data there can be different, and if you're a new member your account probably does not exist there. That's ok, you can create new accounts or mess with your data any way you want there. Just double check the url if you have any doubts.
I need help with testing because the website needs to be updated soon, to introduce the Open Source codebase, which is under version control. In plain english this means starting with the next update I FINALLY have the freedom to do quick updates without worrying about breaking everything, because I'll always have a "clean" copy of the site at hand, even if I do "refactorings" and so on.
Please post any problems you find on this forum topic. Thank you!
- Introducing... iVocab Shuffle™ !21 March 2010
- iVocab Shuffle™ is a simple flashcard review mode that requires no registration to use.
The idea is of a minimalistic test mode which you can do at any time of day. It is meant as an informal test, so please don't stress out :)
iVocab Shuffle™ is the first experimental feature introduced with the new Labs page. I will use the labs page to try out some ideas, and of course by its nature, your suggestions are welcome.
- discover new words
- discover new Japanese websites by using the "Search on google.co.jp" option, see live examples of the word usage
- gradually get a better feeling for the kanji meanings
- simple memory test of the reading and meanings
- you can point at the kanji to see the Remembering the Kanji keyword, if any
- you can click those kanji to go straight to the Study page (hint: middle click to open in a new tab)
Please see the iVocab Shuffle™ topic on the community forums for more.
- Woops, I did it again6 March 2010
- This is for those interested in running the website on your local machine: I just realised that the .htaccess file had been missing all along, as it was excluded by one of the .gitignore rules. Woopsie! I'm really sorry... the website should work much better now ;) (see forum post with slightly more info).
- New, stable, Open Source repository3 March 2010
- The Open Source repository for Reviewing the Kanji has been corrected. It now reflects the fully working live site. Read more in this forum post.