- Working on mobile / responsive navigation (part 2)2 December 2016
- Work is advancing on the responsive update. All the pages are being worked over; I'm using Bootstrap to refresh even the basic things like the sign in form... which end up much more usable on a small screen.
The navigation is working. I spent a lot of time thinking about what kind of navigation to use but eventually I've settled on making my own. A relatively simple dropdown. One on the left for the main navigation, and one on the right, for the account options, with the Koohii logo center (working as the "home" button).
There are some pretty cool "slideout" navs out there... but who knows how it behaves when I have more interface on screen like the flashcards? And if something doesn't do what I need it to do, updating the code will be a headache.
- Pledged for Font Awesome 5 Kickstarter (19 hours to go!)30 November 2016
- Thanks to everyone who supports Kanji Koohii ! I've just pledged 20 $ today in the Font Awesome 5 Kickstarter for the Early Backer Reward.
I saw this Kickstarter earlier and shrugged it off thinking the free version was enough but I'm also interested in the SVG icons and I thought it was too good to pass up. This website currently uses the free version of Font Awesome. With the Pro version I will have access to many more icons, and potentially use SVG icons as well.
If you're looking for icons (both font and SVG) for your projects / designs you can still help them reach the 1,000,000 $ goal and get the a Pro license for just 20 $ !
- JapanesePod101 "Cyber Monday" sale26 November 2016
- In case you missed Black Friday, JapanesePod101 is running another great sale:
50% OFF 1- & 2-Year Premium Subscriptions Only (valid until Nov 28th).
"In case you’ve missed the Black Friday deal, here’s the next best offer! That’s as low as $5/month or about the price of a cup of coffee! With Premium, you get full access to our language learning system - ALL lessons, ALL lesson notes, premium study tools, exclusive apps and much more."
Follow this link to apply the coupon (valid until Nov 28th).
- Rethinking the main navigation16 November 2016
- So I am knee deep in the "responsive" improvements to the website and rethinking the navigation to better support small screens. Today after reading some interesting UX articles relating to the "hamburger menu", I decided to experiment with a two level navigation. Please check it out here and let me know what you think!
PS: At this point I broke everything in my development build and I found out I can't really udpate the site incrementally. I'm just going to have to redo the navigation, and basically go back through all the pages to update the templates with a different grid system. While I am doing so I will improve the flow by reorganizing some of the pages. When I'm finally done with that which could take a few weeks, I think I'd like to add the "daily limit" setting to the SRS that many users have asked.
- Kanji Ryokucha recent updates adds "Hard" rating13 November 2016
- Kanji Ryokucha, a native Android client for Kanji Koohii SRS developed by porukkusu has been recently updated to 1.5. Recent changes include support for the new "Hard" rating, and improves switching between apps while reviewing flashcards (for eg. consulting a Japanese dictionary app).
See Kanji Ryokucha [Android client for Kanji Koohii] out now! on the Koohii forum for the download link, comments and updates.
The most efficient way to remember the meaning and writing of Japanese characters.
Review, Share and Improve!
See your progress Visualize your progress as stacks of flashcards. Reviews are automatically scheduled based on your past results.
Review the kanji Review the kanji online. Repeat more of the difficult characters, and less of those that you know well.
Share mnemonics Feeling stuck? Share stories with fellow learners. Find help and encouragement on the community forums!