News Archive

Miscellaneous fixes15 February 2017
Donate page updated. PayPal now uses the simple PayPal.me page. Please let me know if this works better! The Patreon page is not ready yet.

• Fixed #27 "RTK3 chapter label not showing on Progress Chart"

• Fixed #28 "Progress chart: RTK 3 not recognized as finished"

• Added the footer to the Progress Chart page which gives some room when scrolling to the end of the lessons table.

• Abandoned #68 "Highlight keywords and primitives in stories" (feel free to suggest other ideas in the issue)

• Renamed "Documentation" to "Help" in desktop navigation

• Updated screenshots on Help page #67

• Converted Help page to Markdown for easier editing and contributions #72. NOTE : the goal here eventually will be to add translations, but first the english version needs some serious summarizing!

• (Desktop) Help page navigation uses fixed positioning (stays on screen when you scroll).

Want to contribute a little something with VueJs?11 February 2017
Do you have skills with Javascript, Css? Do you know VueJs or want a little project to learn the basics while contributing to Kanji Koohii? I just remembered today that one requested feature was to display in real time the amount of characters left when you edit a story. This would improve user experience. A small VueJs component can be created for this! See Display amount of characters left in real time when editing a story #73 on Github. Let me and others know there if you'd like to take up the task.
Proposed feature: Integration with KKLC (and other indexes)10 February 2017
Would you like to see additional kanji sequences supported besides RTK? For example KKLC (The Kodansha Kanji Learner's Course) or "RTK Lite" (community-designed list of the 1000 more common kanji from RTK).

This feature is in brainstorm phase, meaning any input as well as votes would help to move it forward. You can help by reviewing my implementation draft in Support additional kanji sequences such as KKLD or RTK Lite #70 with a simple Github account.
Welcome to Kanji Koohii !9 February 2017
Waow. I'm impressed with the results of the redesigned landing page. The daily sign ups has shot back up to a healthy 25-30 a day, consistently since Jan 26th update. Up to 39 sign ups on February 5th which is close to what I saw at peak traffic for this relatively "niche" web application, around 2012.

So welcome everybody! I just did a big mobile / responsive update to the website and there are still a lot of things I can smooth out. Please let me know if you come across anything wonky on your smartphone or tablet. Here are the issues tagged "mobile" on Github.

Another thing that would be super helpful is if you find the website doesn't quite match to what you expected when signing up, let me know too! I'm just one guy and I'm quite overwhelmed already but there may be things that are already on my list that I just don't know how important it is to you! If you already use Gitter by chance, the feedback chat is a very easy way also to send me some suggestions or bugs.

Back to analytics: the tricky part is to understand what that data means. I'll admit I can't make any sense of it beyond the basics. The most helpful data I got from it was to realize that we have approx 25% of the audience accessing the website from "mobile". What I didn't quite fully realize yet, is that Google Analytics separates "mobile" and "tablet" ! When you combine them together you have 33% that is a third of the visitors who are on touch devices. This is a massive portion of the audience and it was about time I did a mobile / responsive refresh!
Update: My Stories layout & Fix for long keywords8 February 2017
Today's update fixes Issue #4 [mobile] Fix long keyword in Study > My Stories, plus various small tweaks:

Before and after on mobile:
• First, long keywords (usually customized by the user, with Japanese characters) are fixed and show on multiple lines instead of being cut out

• Unified the layout of the stories with that of the Shared Stories in the Study pages. This is in preparation for refactoring those into a single VueJS component later (developer stuff). Which in turn will allow for better interactivity (like showing a +1 animation if you click star and the like, which is a huge pain to do with oldschool Javascript).

• The kanji is now always shown in My Stories list. Originally it was hidden and shown on "mouseover", but I think this was relatively of no use. This also simplifies mobile since mobile users don't have a "mouseover".

• Kanji is small and lined up with frame number on mobile, on desktop where there is more space and the stories can become too stretched horizontally, the kanji is larger and put to the side:


• Added title attribute (tooltip) for report / copy / vote buttons

• Added some :hover states (stars are yellow) (partially addresses issue #49

• Made the keyword only as a link to the Study page, instead of the entire story block. I thought this would be less annoying on mobile, where if you try to tap and scroll, you might open the Study page by mistake.

For bugs and suggestions comment on Github issues with a simple Github account. Issues I'm working on next are labelled "NEXT".